2016 Limited Edition: Periscope
SUBDELTA proudly presents its 1st commercial model, the 2016 Periscope, a purpose-built 24-hour watch forged out of beadblasted grade 5 titanium and guiding submerged operatives through time.
Click here to buy the last ones.
Dimensions: 42 mm diameter, 15 mm thick, 22 mm lug width.
This bold bespoke watch was entirely designed with submarines in mind. When a sailor has been submerged for some time, there’s no daylight revealing what part of the day he’s in. Therefore, the day/night dial layout with a 24-hour setup was designed. In total blackness, one can now tell time at a glance with an accuracy of a quarter of an hour.
The rugged Russian automatic 2624 movement has already proven itself in many a watch and was entirely customized for the SUBDELTA Periscope.
The dial is cut into two hemispheres, where the upper one represents the nightly hours (18:00 – 06:00) and the lower one are the daytime hours (06:00 – 18:00). Its colors derive from the ones used on the hull of Holland’s Walrus submarine class.
The dial has a layered (sandwich) construction, where the lower dial is filled with orange and white Swiss Super-LumiNova and the upper dial is cut through to obtain texture.
The crosshair on the dial resembles a submarine’s periscope and – like the hands, numerals and indices – is lit by night due to the use of Swiss Super-LumiNova.
Of course, twin AR-coated sapphire crystals are used to diminish glare and to give a clear lookout on both the dial and movement. All engravings are done by a laser and the custom-made crown shows the bearer’s personal build number.
- Modified and upgraded movement: The Periscope is equipped with a rugged and proven Russian 2624 automatic movement, which now has no minutes and seconds axles and hand, is beautifully decorated with Côtes de Genève, dorage noir and perlage and has a bespoke winding rotor. It can be hand-wound as well.
- Case material and construction: All parts of the Periscope’s case are hand-crafted from grade 5 titanium, being the highest grade of this exquisite material due to its lightness and hardness. All titanium used at SUBDELTA is milled, finished and decorated in the Netherlands. The industrial-looking bead-blasted finishing of all hardware is a statement in itself of what’s being housed inside. The SUBDELTA case has the firm’s DNA etched in bold yet simple lines, its distinctive shape being an evolution of the P1lot One with additional refinement.
- Strap and drilled lugholes: The handmade leather straps by Dutch artisan 7T2Straps.com are attached to the case using solid bars. The case lugs have to be drilled with a very high degree of accuracy on an extremely hard material. A strap changing tool made by Swiss watch tool specialist company Bergeon is included to facilitate changing the straps at home.
- Crystal caseback: The matching grade 5 titanium screw down caseback is rated waterproof for 60 meters (6 atm) when shut with strategically positioned rubber gaskets. The sapphire crystal has also been anti-glare treated on the inside, so the nicely decorated movement can be appreciated with minimized reflections. The watch is individually numbered and details are laser etched into case and case back.
- Personalization: Each SUBDELTA is a unique watch and owners can have a meaningful date engraved between the lower lugs (i.e. up to 6 numbers) as a free option. The unique build number is laser-engraved in the outside of the crown as a constant reminder of the uniqueness of the particular timepiece.
- The crown: The bespoke titanium crown has been designed in-house and has been sourced by the best Swiss crown maker. It is positioned on the right side of the case for easy operation.
- Bespoke tang buckle: The handmade tang buckle is also made out of bead-blasted grade 5 titanium. The profile of the buckle is hand-bent to follow the curve of one’s wrist perfectly. To round it off, the SUBDELTA logo is laser-engraved on top of the buckle.
- Twin anti-reflective sapphire crystals: SUBDELTA sources and fits its watches with the best available sapphire crystals on both sides. The choice of an anti-reflective coating on the inside only is deliberate as outside coating is more prone to scratching due to the coating being less hard than the sapphire it is applied to. This coating has a slight violet blue-purple hue, which can be seen when moved around in direct light conditions and gives the crystals a nice touch.
- Sandwiched dial setup: The Periscope uses a sandwich dial, with the upper dial featuring intricate cutouts of the markings and the lower dial sporting the highest grade C1 Swiss made Super-Luminova to provide maximum legibility also in total darkness. The dial design has a crosshair and artificial horizon to match the nautical theme – clearly adding to the Periscope’s visual impact in darkness.
- Single hand: The single hand on the Periscope indicates the quarters of an hour, half hours and full hours only. The hand is surrounded by a thin bright orange rim and holds the same luminous paint as the orange part of the SUBDELTA logo.
- Nanuk 903 case: The Periscope is being shipped an presented in the revered Nanuk 903 waterproof and shockproof case for maximum protection during its missions, where a tailor-made interior ensures all parts are kept well in place. For the Periscope, the case comes in black.
Download 3D PDF
Look at the SUBDELTA Periscope from any given angle by downloading the 3D PDF! Needs to be saved on a hard drive on a laptop or computer (doesn’t work on smart phones and tablets as far as we know).